An amendment was passed in June 2017 saying that Aadhaar has to be linked services such as bank accounts, PAN, insurance policies, etc. There was earlier a deadline set for the process which was December 31, 2017 which was extended to March 31, 2018.
But recently Supreme Court of India has said that there is no deadline to link Aadhaar with savings bank account and other services.
So, there is no last date as of now but there are some consequences a person has to face if he ignores this amendment. The bank account might be seized along with other limitations. In this article, we have mentioned the steps that you need to follow to link Aadhaar along with the benefits you get on doing it. You may also read the consequences of not linking your bank account.
Steps to Link Bank Account with Aadhaar
Below are the steps to follow:
- Log-in to your bank account via Net Banking.
- Visit nearest bank branch and submit a request in the application form.
- After 3-4 working days, an e-KYC (Know your Customer) authentication procedure is followed by Unique Identification Authority of India.
- Some banks have the option of linking Aadhaar with bank accounts with the help of an IVRS call which will guide you step by step.
- There is also an option to link by sending an SMS to the respective number of the bank.
Consequences of not linking Aadhaar with Bank Account
Below are the miss outs to those who do not follow the amendment:
- You won’t get Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Bima Yojana
- You will also not get benefit from LPG Subsidy Scheme
- Last but not the least is the Atal Pension Yojana
Check Aadhaar Card link to Bank Account Status Online
If you want to check the status of your Aadhaar with bank account, follow the below-mentioned simple steps:
- Visit the official website of Aadhaar- www.uidai.gov.in
- Click on ‘Check Aadhaar & Bank Account Linking Status’
- Enter the Aadhaar number for which you want to know the status and also the security code.
- On submission of this, an OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered with the Aadhaar.
- Submit the OTP and click on ‘Login’.
- Check whether the Aadhaar has been successfully linked or not.
Benefits of Linking Aadhaar to Bank Accounts?
The linking of your multiple bank accounts with Aadhaar will allow you to avail the below-mentioned benefits:
- LPG Subsidy – The subsidy is sent to the account linked with Aadhaar
- Subsidy for commodity products– You get the subsidy for various commodities such as kerosene, sugar, rice, pulses and many other products whose prizes are subsidized are also transferred to the linked account.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee (MNREGA): The wages under MNREGA scheme will be credited directly to the linked bank accounts of the workers.
- Tribal welfare schemes: The payments from the schemes will also be credited to the linked bank accounts.
- Scholarship: Students who receive the scholarship from the government can get this money only if their bank account is linked to their Aadhaar number. However, this is mandatory only for the students from select Indian states.
- Nationwide Access: The online, inter-operable architecture of Aadhaar Enabled Payment System (AEPS) allows access to the account from anywhere in the country.