When you have faced a criminal charge, you should consider hiring Toronto criminal lawyer. If this is your first time you must be nervous and might not understand how to proceed and find out which of the lawyers would be the right option for you. Here are a set of questions which you should ask the lawyer at different stages of the case so that you stay assured that the hiring process is done properly. So, schedule an appointment with the selected lawyers you have shortlisted and then ask them relevant questions. These will help you decide on the best lawyer suitable for your case.
Background and experience
When you decide to hire a Toronto criminal lawyer it is necessary that you know about his background and experience. Here are some questions to ask criminal lawyers in Toronto before you hire one of the best fitting one.
- Which law school you attended?
- When did you graduate?
- How many years of experience do you have in this field?
- How long have you been practicing law?
- How often do your clients reach the trial stage?
- What is your success rate while practicing criminal law?
- Are you familiar with the charges I have been accused of? How many such cases have you handled?
- Are you associated with any bar association or any professional group? If yes, which one?
- How often have you appeared in the court where my case is going to be presented?
After assessing your case
Any Toronto criminal lawyer can tell you few things even if you are there for the first consultation. So, ask your lawyer some questions to know how beneficial he would be to you.
- What are my legal options in present situation?
- Would you recommend a trial, a guilty plea or a plea agreement?
- What aspects of my case work against me and what are in my favor?
- What should I expect at different stages of process?
- What potential problems do you see in my case?
Managing the case
Regarding managing your case you should make sure you ask few questions.
- Will you represent me in the court?
- Will anyone else work on my case?
- If I call you what would be the respond time?
- What is the mode of contact you prefer when the case is going on?
Questions that you should ask your Toronto criminal lawyer when asking about the fee is as follows:
- Do you charge hourly or you ask for flat fee?
- If you charge by the hour, what would be your rate?
- If you charge flat fee, what are included in it?
- What other expenses will I have to pay you?
Hiring process of lawyer
After meeting few of the lawyers it is the time to hire the best one. Here are some questions to help you take the right decision.
- Which one offered the most helpful advice?
- Which one has the experience with charges similar to mine?
- With whom am I most confident and comfortable?
- Who offers reasonable fee?
Analyze the answers and hire the best Toronto criminal lawyer.