Almost every corner of the country is replete with Hindu pilgrimage sites, may it be north India or South India. One such pilgrimage site of great importance and significance which has drawn plenty of pilgrims and tourists alike to it is the Kedarnath.
Situated on the top of the hills, the Kedarnath temple is considered to be one of the holiest places for Hindu pilgrimage. Pilgrims make a trip to Kedarnath and then cross over to the next mountain to visit Badrinath. The temple of Kedarnath is dedicated to Lord Shiva and it is an uphill ride or walk up the mountains from Gourikund to there. Well if you are planning a trip to this holy place, then here are a few things that you can keep in mind:
- First and foremost, you need to remember that Kedarnath is almost inaccessible during the winter months. It closes down sometime after September and hence it is best to plan a trip to this mountain temple during the summer months. The cold during this time of the year is more or less bearable and you will have no difficulty in travelling.
- Well, when you plan to go during the summer months, be prepared that the place will be thronged with pilgrims and tourists alike. Thus it is best to get all the booking done beforehand. Pre booking when going to Kedarnath is very important. There are only a couple of hotels near the temple. Get in touch with a travel agent to get a good hotel if you do not have any contacts there. There are quite a few dorms there as well and if you do not have a problem in sharing your room, then these are cheapest options.
- Helicopter rides in Kedarnath have been introduced so that the tourists can enjoy the beauty of the valley and the snow covered mountains and of course get a bird’s eye view of the temple. This helicopter ride is in huge demand these days and hence if you want to enjoy the fun and thrill of one then it is best to get a kedarnath helicopter online booking done and reserve the number of seats or rides that you will need. This will ensure that no matter how crowded the place may be; you will get your helicopter ride.
- Be prepared to face a throng of crowd when you visit the temple. It is going to be really crowded and there will be a huge unmanaged queue with everyone trying to get into the temple. Get to know the temple opening and closing times beforehand so that you can queue up in proper time.
- And last but not the least, even during the summer months; it is going to be pretty cold up there in the mountains. Hence carry warm woollens with you. Body warmers are a must. If you have asthma or breathing problems consult your doctor before you trek to such a great height where the oxygen level is low.
So, these are some of the basic things that you need to keep in mind when planning for a trip to Kedarnath.